Tuesday, 11 December 2012

BRUICHLADDICH VALINCH FORBIDDEN FRUIT - DISTILLERY BOTTLE YOUR OWN

We're back on the Isle of Islay for a Bruichladdich bottling finished in one of those controversial casks - an ex Calvados cask. Bruichladdich has done loads of cask finishes - some more successful than others - and whisky drinkers have always been split (far from evenly, I might add) between traditional maturation in either ex-bourbon or sherry wood and a variety of other (wine)casks, a venture much explored by the good folks at Bruichladdich.

Personally I haven't had that many whiskies from ex-calvados casks, so I didnt really know what to expect from this one other than I would like to see a Bruichladdich not swamped in whatever cask type it has been finished in... oh, by the way - at Bruichladdich its not called a finish, its called ACE'ing your whisky (Additional Cask Enhancement)

Just to be clear, Calvados is a french apple brandy (distilled cider). More here.

This bottling is also a 'valinch' bottling from Bruichladdich, which means its a 'bottle your own' at the distillery. Its also only comes in 50cl bottles.

Bruichladdich Valinch 'Forbiden Fruit' 1992/2012 (25.09.1992) 19yo 51,6%, ACE'ed in a Christian Drouin Calvados Cask, Distillery bottling

Colour is straw

Nose:
Mashy, salt and fresh malt, vanilla, white fruits , pears and an elusive apple or am I imagining things here? also natural caramel and a hint of cardboard.

Taste:
Light grains, apple here now for sure along with the sweet natural 'Laddie style. ligther in style than expected, but still very mouth filling. Some oaky notes gives away to a creamy vinous texture at the mid palate, along with a creamy honeyed malt and sweet fruit.

This is a cask finish (sorry, ACE'ing) well done, IMO - Extremely drinkable.

86/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment