Although Laphroaig is know as the 'medicin cabinet' of Islay, due to its iodine style, it has certainly taken a step to a more crowd pleasing style over the past years. I remember when I started drinking whisky and Laphroaig was incredible rough in style... and (I know its not quite the same) but Talisker 10 was a rough beast as well.
Now, I know your palate develops as you drink more and more whisky... but this is just not right - and many have pointed this out before - there's just too much aiming by the distillers for a pleasing style to suit the wide audience... and too much e150 in the mix! I also recognise that running a distillery is a business - and not a whisky philanthropists paradise...but really?? with the popularity levels whisky has reached these days?? Couldn't you make some more for the whisky nerds, please? *end of the (first) rant of 2013*
Peat and sherry goes well together - I think we can all agree to that! and Laphroaig and sherry is no exception... and why not test this one from a pretty influential sherry cask picked Dutch bottler Van Wees.
This is a single cask and e150 free and at full strength - thanks to the whisky gods!
Laphroaig 1998 13yo (22.09.1998/22.08.2012) 60,1% refill sherry butt#700394, 716 bottles, Van Wees
Colour is nutty brown
Nose:
Dirty, oily, sherry, medicinal for sure - real antiseptic and iodine style. Peat and mulled wine, whiffs of a Starbucks shop, a little rubber adds to the experience.
Taste:
Trademark sherry Laphroaig. First a sherried/winey arrival then a huge peat 'Oomph'. Getting dry and nutty and bitter - the like making a Gaelic Coffee with a peated whisky ;-) Spices, pepper, smoke and dried fruits in abundance. Finish is long on ashy peat, a little experience-adding matchstick sulphur and sweet notes...
Not overly complex as the sherry maybe has taken over a bit, but very enjoyable!
87/100!
No comments:
Post a Comment