I know, I know - lots more to whisky than the ones from Islay - but they are ever so popular, these peaty beasts from that lovely island.
![]() |
| Bowmore Distillery, Islay - August 2009 © The Malt Desk |
This change happened, as far as I have experienced, back in 1992-93. From those years on I've noticed a significant drop in unpleasant notes many expressions from the 80's carried - also know as FWP.
So, what was the reason for this? well, much speculation have been done on this and several theories have been aired on it... here's a couple:
During those couple of years the Bowmore wash back was changed back to wooden vessels from stainless steel used for a good 10 years before that. Did they clean the washbacks with a perfumy detergent? or did they run their fermentation so long that these notes appeared?
Another theory aired was that the stills were run 24/7 at the time and the copper never had time to cool down and settle and this prolonged heating/expansion of the copper in the still produced this lavender/soapy/perfumy note.... what was really the reason for this? - I guess we'll never know...
Let's try this SMWS expression from the late 90's
Bowmore 1997 3.200 (25.09.1997/xx.xx.2012) 15yo 'A Bothy with an oil painting' 57,6%, Refill ex-sherry butt, 626 bottles, The Scotch malt Whisky Society
Colour is full straw
Nose:
Creamy caramel, light and flowery peat, sweet and hint of oriental cooking like hot soy sauce in a wok pan.
Taste:
Sweet and a bit drying note, then pickled fruits, peat, nutty bitterness, spices, salt, hint of feta cheese(??)
A bottling very much in touch with the 'new' Bowmore image and style. A good dram!
87/100!

No comments:
Post a Comment