Tuesday, 26 February 2013

INVERGORDON 1965 - DUNCAN TAYLOR

I've tasted a few grain whiskies on here before, but this is the first Invergordon grain I'll be reviewing.

Invergordon is a large industrial complex located north of Inverness and in business sense maybe a strange place for a large grain distillery as most of its product will go into blends and that's usually done in/near the Edinburgh or Glasgow area.

40 million liters of grain spirit is produced each year at Invergordon - quite a bit!

Let's try this grain whisky distilled in the same year as The Beatles and The Temptations were big hits!

Invergordon 1965 40yo (xx.12.1965/xx.10.2006) 50,3%, ex-bourbon cask#15514, 238 bottles, Duncan Taylor Rare Auld

Colour is light amber

Nose:
Coconut - as is often very evident in these old grains - tropical fruits, mango, peach, even raspberries, almonds (marzipan)

Taste:
Cake creme (custard), a little caramel, mildly spicy, burnt bbq sauce, vanilla and ginger. A relative short finish for such an old whisky, but grains have a tendency to lack in that department.

Still, a pretty good old grain, I think - 86/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment