About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Thursday, 13 June 2013

GLENGOYNE 1986 23YO - DISTILLERY BOTTLING

I'm doing this post sitting in the common area of The Ghillies Cottage at Macallan in Speyside - Craigellachie to be exact, where (of course) I'm trying some nice whisky. I'm on this trip to get to know a new range of whiskies - but more on that in a post later this month.

This time, I'll just do a review as tiredness has kicked in and I'd be better off sleeping than spending time online... but hey, I admit it... I'm a bit of an online addict - but then who isn't these days, right?

The review this time is a Glengoyne 1986 Single Cask release bottled in 2009.
Now, Glengoyne is - in a time where peated whisky is very popular - one of the few distilleries that uses completely unpeated malt in their production - using only hot air to dry their malt.

Anyway, its getting late and its been a long day, so I'll rush straight on to the review...

Glengoyne 1986 23yo (10.04.1986/30.09.2009) 53,6%, european sherry oak butt#399, 548 bottles, Distillery bottling

Colour is light amber

Nose:
Mint - as in 'After Eight' dessert chocolates, very clean and crisp malt, some oranges in here too and a honeyed sweetness, vanilla and thin breakfast tea. Apples too...

Taste:
Some beautiful thick oily malt juice and a coating layer of honey and cooked apple. Almost syrupy, tea again, decaying oranges/mustiness??, Cognac, a little milk chocolate and dried fruit... oh, and more mint on the finish.

A very nice Glengoyne, I like it for its crispy cleanliness...

87/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment