I've always enjoyed the (North) Highland style of whisky, that little hint of peat, the earthy notes and mellow fruitiness and slight coastal hint.
Sadly today, I steer clear of most Glenmorangie bottlings unless offered for free or trying at fairs, since I think its not as good as it used to be... sad to see for a distillery I otherwise hold in such high esteem... which is also maybe why my expectation didn't run that high when trying the 'Signet'-release, although I thought the partially heavy roasted malt recipe is appealing as I like my beers dark too... and its a bottling at 46%, which is a huge++
![]() |
| Glenmorangie Distillery, HDR edited photo, 24th August 2009 © The Malt Desk |
Glenmorangie 'Signet' 46%, bottled +/- 2008, Distillery bottling
Colour is amber
Nose:
Heavy malt, a sherry like character to the nose, caramel, coffee, ginger, milk chocolate and toasted oak
Taste:
Delicious thick and creamy malt, burnt toast, cappuccino, oak, nutty, orange peel, ginger and grated nutmeg and assorted (oak) spices.
This was a very pleasant surprise. Fun to find a 'Morangie that sometimes show almost dark rum-like qualities. Lovely stuff!
87/100!

I agree wholeheartedly. Some of the modern approach of "let's mix chalk and cheese or oil and water and see what happens" is wearisome. But this is good stuff ! My all time favourite was Sonnalta which was Pedro Ximenez sherry barrels ! Glorious.
ReplyDelete