About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, 30 July 2013

CLYNELISH 1984 26.92 'HARD GLAZED PRETZEL STICKS' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

I was just sorting through my pictures for one to use for this blog post when I suddenly realised I have more than a handful of pictures of the old Clynelish (Now Brora) Distillery, but actually lacking shots of the new Clynelish buildings... But I guess that just goes to prove I'm a whisky romanticist, right ;-) and it also gives me a good reason to return to Scotland too :-D

I've been reviewing alot of bottlings from the SMWS since the they've opened a branch in Denmark last year in September and right now I feel they provide some of the best value/quality bottlings in this high inflation whisky market.

But there's been somewhat of a revival(??) of an older bottler that used to be my favourite a few years back. It's now giving competition both on quality and prices (no, not giving away all my tricks here and telling you who it is)... But after trying a new range from that bottler in the spring during the Spirit of Speyside Festival, I'm confident they're back on the right track and I will be watching them closely.

Now on to the the SMWS review...

The rear of the Clynelish Distillery and shop entrance - 4th August 2009 © The Malt Desk
Clynelish 1984 26.92 28yo (13.12.1984/xx.xx.2013) 'Hard glazed pretzel sticks' 58,2%, 491 bottles, refill ex-sherry butt, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Colour is white wine

Nose:
Straight off, it gives off lots of alcohol, but also sweet fruity/citrussy notes. Quite salty, minerals, Fairy washing up liquid and some sweet wort. It gets a bit more herbal with time and cut grass appears along with a slight vinous note, even if this is a well used sherry butt.

Taste:
Squashed citrus fruits (oranges mostly), oak spices, a syrupy note and a dash of vanilla, honey and candles/waxy/oily notes. Very Clynelish. Also a slightly 'hot' edge to it and it takes to water very well, bringing out its barley origins.

A lemony salty, barley experience this one. A very good, but not the best older Clynelish from the SMWS as of late. I know I said it takes to water very well, but be careful dosing it, as its a fine edge between swimming and drowning with this dram.

88/100! ...and thanks to MBO for the sample

No comments:

Post a Comment