About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Monday, 1 July 2013

CRAIGELLACHIE 1990 44.57 'SEA SALTED CARAMEL PEBBLES' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

I passed Craigellachie Distillery just 2 weeks ago, thinking it always looks the same when driving by...  but then it's not normally open to the public, so why should they spend a washback full of money to make it look pretty. It doesn't look bad, I might add - it just looks like it always does...

A funny thing is that when passing Aultmore distillery (also owned by Dewar's/Barcardi) I get the feeling I'm looking at Craigellachie, as they're somewhat similar. While I'm at it let me mention that they also own Macduff, Royal Brackla and Aberfeldy Distilleries - the latter being no where near the other industrial looking complexes, but rather more like your traditional old stone walled distillery

I came across a funny thing with 2 Craigellachie bottlings in early May this year when visiting SMWS The Vaults in Edinburgh when returning from the Spirit of Speyside festival... They tasted like... Clynelish... I even had my travelling companion who runs the DK branch of the SMWS and a member of staff at The Vaults confirm my opinion on this. It was a huge surprise for all of us! I've had this experience a couple of times before, but with very similar whiskies/distilleries (Glenfarclas/Glen Grant/Cragganmore) but this was no where near what I'd expect from a Craigellachie - as I said, a lovely surprise :-)

Have you had a similar experience? Use the comment field below - thank you!

Craigellachie stillhouse, May 2nd 2011 © The Malt Desk
So what am I talking about? this one...

Craigellachie 1990 (13.08.1990/xx.02.2013) 22yo 'Sea salted caramel pebbles' 52,9%, refill ex-bourbon hogshead, 305 bottles, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Colour is pale white wine

Nose:
Sweet shy pears and a grassy note, freshly sliced honey melon, white chocolate and a hint of farmyard, grist and cookie dough

Taste:
Fruits, mainly pears again now more evident and up front. Very fresh with a salty spicy edge - very north Highland as in malt from that producing distillery in the village of Brora, even shows a creamy/waxy edge with addition of a few drops of water. Water also brings out a very noticeable smoky and herbal edge and some soft oak...

Far more expressive on the palate then on the nose - I love this! Huge fun!
A highly educational malt... Oh, and the other similar bottling is the 44.56...

88/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment