Monday, 1 July 2013

CRAIGELLACHIE 1990 44.57 'SEA SALTED CARAMEL PEBBLES' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

I passed Craigellachie Distillery just 2 weeks ago, thinking it always looks the same when driving by...  but then it's not normally open to the public, so why should they spend a washback full of money to make it look pretty. It doesn't look bad, I might add - it just looks like it always does...

A funny thing is that when passing Aultmore distillery (also owned by Dewar's/Barcardi) I get the feeling I'm looking at Craigellachie, as they're somewhat similar. While I'm at it let me mention that they also own Macduff, Royal Brackla and Aberfeldy Distilleries - the latter being no where near the other industrial looking complexes, but rather more like your traditional old stone walled distillery

I came across a funny thing with 2 Craigellachie bottlings in early May this year when visiting SMWS The Vaults in Edinburgh when returning from the Spirit of Speyside festival... They tasted like... Clynelish... I even had my travelling companion who runs the DK branch of the SMWS and a member of staff at The Vaults confirm my opinion on this. It was a huge surprise for all of us! I've had this experience a couple of times before, but with very similar whiskies/distilleries (Glenfarclas/Glen Grant/Cragganmore) but this was no where near what I'd expect from a Craigellachie - as I said, a lovely surprise :-)

Have you had a similar experience? Use the comment field below - thank you!

Craigellachie stillhouse, May 2nd 2011 © The Malt Desk
So what am I talking about? this one...

Craigellachie 1990 (13.08.1990/xx.02.2013) 22yo 'Sea salted caramel pebbles' 52,9%, refill ex-bourbon hogshead, 305 bottles, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Colour is pale white wine

Nose:
Sweet shy pears and a grassy note, freshly sliced honey melon, white chocolate and a hint of farmyard, grist and cookie dough

Taste:
Fruits, mainly pears again now more evident and up front. Very fresh with a salty spicy edge - very north Highland as in malt from that producing distillery in the village of Brora, even shows a creamy/waxy edge with addition of a few drops of water. Water also brings out a very noticeable smoky and herbal edge and some soft oak...

Far more expressive on the palate then on the nose - I love this! Huge fun!
A highly educational malt... Oh, and the other similar bottling is the 44.56...

88/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment