About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Saturday, 17 August 2013

BERNHEIM ORIGINAL - DISTILLERY BOTTLING

This has been long overdue... a set of American whiskeys - Bourbons & Ryes...

Its been a while since I've ventured into Bourbon & Ryes, but needed to give it another shot. I've had some before, but need to see if my palate has adjusted over time, so...

I'm gonna start with the fact -and I've mentioned this before when reviewing Scottish grain whisky- that overly sweet whisk(e)y isn't much to my liking... therefore please take note that these reviews might reflect that. That said, I do find some good stuff among the bottles I will be reviewing and I will, of course, try and be as objective as possible. On the other hand, taste is quite subjective anyway, but I just thought you should know ;-)

For the first review we're off to Bernheim (Heaven Hill) plant in Louisville, Kentucky for a review of the Bernheim Original, a mainly (51%) wheat whiskey...

Bernheim warehouse, photo from Bernheim official media kit

Bernheim Small Batch, Wheat whiskey, 45%, Bernheim (Heaven Hill) Distillery bottling

Colour is amber

Nose:
Very light, floral, mint, banana, anise, cough syrup and cinnamon

Taste:
Fruity, light grains, peach, unripe oranges, cloves and grilled banana on a short finish.

Hmm... OK light style, but sweeeet and completely uninspiring. Should be iced, IMO   Guess, being a malt-head shows straight away...

74/100!

1 comment: