About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Sunday, 13 October 2013

BUNNAHABHAIN 1998 10.72 'A HAWKER MARKET IN SINGAPORE' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

Another one of my favourtite distilleries is the underrated Bunnahabhain Distillery on Islay.

Often overshadowed by the distilleries on the south coast, Bunnahabhain can deliver some glorious whisky and they did still have some good old stuff tucked away the last time I was there...

Bunnahabhain from medium to heavy active sherry casks can be incredibly delicious (actually preferring the medium and refill ones). Sadly I've seen some very rubbery/sulphured style sherry casks from Bunnahabhain in casks from the 1990s... the ones I've tried from this period have had both hits an misses, and I've actually noticed a couple of more misses than hits, I'm afraid :-(

The bottling I'm about to review is such as cask...

This still doesn't change that Bunnahabhain is one of the most beautiful places on Islay and I go there every time I'm on Islay...


Bunnahabhain bay and distillery, October 8th 2008 © The Malt Desk
Bunnahabhain 1998 10.72 'A Hawker Market in Singapore' 12yo, 56,4%, Refill sherry butt, 756 bottles, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Colour is light amber

Nose:
Heavy musty sherry nose, more than the colour suggests. Oriental spices - lots of cumin, soy and pepper, but also a quite a milky/yeasty note, so I'm thinking this might have come from a Fino sherry cask.

Taste:
Sweet sugary arrival, the sulphury rubber notes - an immediately no go on my palate. Water brings it down to only a slightly annoying level. When water is added some tea, mushrooms, malt, licorice and oak bitterness comes out as well... but all ruined by the rubbery sulphur notes... :-(

A rare miss by the SMWS! and all though I didn't like this one - still thanks to GNJ for the sample!

68/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment