About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Saturday, 5 October 2013

CRAIGELLACHIE 1999 44.49 'LAMB CHOPS, MINT SAUCE AND BLUEBERRIES' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

It has been a week since my last review... If I had put a 'Forgive me, Padre' in front of that someone would think I was making a confession, but I'm not - just a review...

I've recently exchanged samples with a good whisky friend and among those were a handful of expressions from the SWMS, so I'll start out with those...

The first one, as you might have guessed from the headline, is a... Mortlach - no just kidding :-)
Its, of course, a Craigellachie and this time a sherry matured expression.

When I posted my first Craigellachie review in February this year, I mentioned that Craigellachie distillery uses wormtubs to cool their spirit. I've thought long and hard about if its the the spirit character or the sherry cask that gives the heavier character to this particular bottling. My conclusion is that it must be that cask as I don't really seriously get the heavier compounds in the spirit (only slight feinty ones) and the other ones I do get I feel is clearly sherry oak infused. Also, I sometimes see that if you get a heavier spirit profile it can balance out some of fruity notes, but not in this one.

Steam coming off the Craigellachie Distillery wormtubs, May 2nd 2011 © The Malt Desk
Craigellachie 1999 44.49 (xx.08.1999/xx.02.2011) 11yo 'Lamb chops, Mint sauce and Blueberries' 58,7%, 624 bottle, refill ex-sherry butt, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Colour is amber

Nose:
Chocolate mints (After Eights), malt, butter, yeast and baking dough, vanilla, banana turning brown, moldy/dusty and some anise

Taste:
Lovely light sherried arrival, clean as a whistle. Then mainly malt dried fruit, nuts, pineapple, strawberry and oranges and a tad bitter oak on the finish.

Maybe a slight narrow profile, but what is there works - and it works well!

I'd take a whole bottle for sure...and thanks to GNJ for the sample.

87/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment