I haven't been to Islay since May 2011 but I'll make up for that next year, when most of a week will be spent on this beautiful island. Until then I'll just have to settle for whisky from there...
Bunnahabhain 1987 25yo 44%, 1st fill sherry hogshead#2786, 146 bottles, Adelphi
Colour is Mahogany
Nose;
Heavy sherry with hints of balsamico and some well measured spicy oak to go along. Cold coffee grounds, chocolate turning very vinous very quickly. Also some musty notes in there, bung cloth, burnt sugar and polished hardwood floor
Taste:
Sugared strong coffee to begin with... then the sherry wine kick in. Also in there are old Cognacs, Madeira and Tawny Ports - very nice! It then fades to bitter drying orange notes and brown overripe banana before a rush of malt and dark fruits (prune juice?) shows itself...
Not overly complex in any way, but if you enjoy this style its good and tasty fun... one for the sherryheads, for sure!
87/100!

No comments:
Post a Comment