About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Sunday, 10 August 2014

GLENGOYNE 12YO CASK STRENGTH - DISTILLERY BOTTLING

Not long ago I reviewed the new Glengoyne Cask Strength Batch 2 - a bottling that replaced the old 12yo Cask Strength version... and by chance I just recently stumbled across a version of the old 12yo version, so in the name of whisky science, I had to get one of the those to compare with...

In my previous post you'll find, that I don't mind a NAS whisky, as long as it carries the qualities that the batch 2 version does (and I'm told the batch 1 is even better)... but it'll now come down to if 12 years of maturation does wonders or if its just a number within the Glengoyne hierarchy - 'cause the batch 2 is really good!

My recent purchase for comparison purposes ;-) © The Malt Desk

Glengoyne 12yo Cask Strength 57,2%, Distillery bottling

Colour is light amber

Nose:
Hello there, much more sherry evident that in the CS batch 2... but I guess that's a dead give away anyway looking at the colour, which is the natural colour, so no E150 caramel colouring added - this has not been chill filtered either, BTW.

As with sherry influences at this level, there's the usual dried fruit notes in here, slightly dirty notes that goes away after a short while, lots of malt and oak spices, in fact pretty noticeable oak spices - but they're never over the top. The whole thing calms down after a while revealing an underlying vanilla and honey chocolate bar sweetness and incredible clean crisp malt, just like in the batch 2

Taste:
Very mouth filling... again with the spices and sherry on full frontal attack here. Very nice, indeed! Raisins, honey, oranges, walnut bitterness, back to honey and malt, strong tea and a rush of oak spices, mainly peppery ones and spirit soaked plums.

Phew, this is hard call to make... I like both the style of the NAS Cask Strength version and this one... but I also like my sherried whisky and, unlike in the NAS Cask Strength version, I do not get slight feinty notes and this 12yo seem like a more balanced whisky compared to the NAS version.

Like in my previous review, I don't give ½ points, which would have made this one climb to 87½... but it still isn't good enough to make it to 88...

87/100! ...because the styles are so close, yet so far a part...

Remember to compare the above with my review of the Cask Strength Batch 2 from July 23rd this year... you'll find that here

No comments:

Post a Comment