Monday, 2 February 2015

CAOL ILA 2001 - ADELPHI

It's been quite a while since I reviewed a whisky from from Islay's largest distillery, Caol Ila... actually its been as much as 15 months, so its about time, don't you think? :-)

Since I don't drink as much peated whisky as I used to, I really try to take my time with what I try and this was no exception. First I tried this at the Islay tasting I hosted in November and again at home later on another occasion with plenty time and a fresh(er) palate...

Anyway, here's my review...

Old scale at Caol Ila with the Paps of Jura in the background, June 13th 2007 © The Malt Desk

Caol Ila 2001 11yo (b. 01.2013) 60,6%, refill sherry cask#303802, 280 bottles, Adelphi

Colour is pale straw

Nose:
Very closed down at first but turning quite fresh and sweet after a while. Some brine and salt nips come through with grape fruit/peel, vanilla and the ever present peat

Taste:
At first lots of alcohol but then a peat rush, smoky bacon, vanilla, apple - all delivered by a very oily mouthfeel. Water brings out a slight white wine edge along with some citrus notes and turning the whole thing into a rather ashy and sooty affair. The finish gives off bags of peated peanuts

This is a real bruiser so go easy with this one! It's far from the most complex of whiskies, but its good fun!

83/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment