Thursday, 26 November 2020

GLEN MORAY 10YO 'FIRED OAK' - DISTILLERY BOTTLING

We're on to the next Glen Moray review - this time I'll be reviewing the 10yo 'Fired oak' which is a combination of ex-bourbon and heavily charred fresh American oak casks.

So what does heavily charred oak add to the whisky, I hear you ask?
In this case, the good folk at Glen Moray have chosen to get American oak casks that have never been used before, charred, or burnt of you like, on the inside of the casks to a degreed where the casks produce a layer of charred oak, much like a piece of charcoal - on the outer layer of the oak staves.

This degree of charring brings out a more heavy cask influence than regular oak staves will, as the charring will have brought out more flavor compounds from the oak. The charring will also remove unwanted, usually natural sulphury notes from the maturing spirit - much like charcoal filtering normally do.

However, there is a fine balance to keep when using charred oak for maturation.
Some spirits lighter in character, like e.g. Glen Moray can easily be overpowered by charred oak, IMO - and this is probably why they have chosen to mix it with regular oak cask matured Glen Moray... A wise choice if you ask me!

Let's take a closer look:

Cask rows at a Glen Moray Warehouse © Glen Moray

Glen Moray 10yo 'Fired Oak' - Distillery Bottling

Nose:
Fresh warm baking, hints of orange peel, dark honey and overripe banana.
It's all carried forward by candied apples on a stick. After a while, a strong vanilla note comes through.

Taste:
Quite laid back and very much driven by the fired oak casks, making up what I would think is a large portion of this. A hint of burnt toast, thick malt, burnt caramel and some vanilla notes. The finish continues with quite some wood influence, turning it slightly bitter.

I like the nose on this and flavor-wise this is a notch heavier compared to the Elgin Classic edition. If you're new to whisky you'll either love or hate this as it introduces some new flavors that might need some getting used to. On the other hand, this also produces some more candy, burnt caramel-like notes that might appeal to some.

I actually felt more a sense of original Glen Moray whisky, drinking the 'Elgin Classic' than I do this. Also, I would also be more inclined to pick up the regular 12yo instead if this after comparing (UK) prices.

77/100!

Official sample provided by the Danish Importer

No comments:

Post a Comment