It's time to review a small handful of more commonly available whiskies - 4 to be exact - all from Glen Moray Distillery in Elgin, Speyside.
I'll start off with what Glen Moray themselves also call 'Elgin Classic' which pretty much sums up what this is - Straight forward easy drinkable whisky from this giant hidden in a residential neighborhood in Elgin.
The last time I visited was in September 2019 and would like to go back - and quite possibly pick up one of the very nice hand-bottlings offered there.
Since circumstances currently prevent travel, I'll have to settle for a virtual trip down Bruceland Road
Glen Moray 'Elgin Classic' 40%, Distillery Bottling
Nose:
Very expressive, much more than expected - promising...
I expect a lot of 1st fill ex-bourbon casks at work here.
Lots of grassy notes, a floral hint, and then green apples and malty notes and sugary lemony sponge case fresh from the oven.
After a while, some wood chip notes and a hint of wet newspaper peeps through
A nose that would appeal to many first-time whisky drinkers, I expect
Taste:Quite warming for 40% as if the casks have a bit too much to say here? Slightly off-balance, maybe... The palate is very much an echo of the nose with warm apple, some citrus, and grassy notes, and a quite surprisingly long finish
I do not recommend you add water to this one - doing so kills it off and brings out an unwanted note of varnish/paint thinner on the palate.
Do I like it? yes, I do... Will I drink if offered, yes, I will...
I would have loved to try this at 43% or even 46% where I think this would be much better as the delivery still leaves a few things to be desired.
All in all a good starter whisky for new malt drinkers as well as fairly inexpensive compared to other entry-level whiskies.
77/100!
Official sample provided by the Danish Importer


No comments:
Post a Comment