I visited the place in August 2009 and there was no doubt which blend the place was was associated with - there were Grouse all over the lot there... but this is the malt desk and - at least for now - not the blend desk.
We're of course at Glenturret Distillery in Crieff - another distillery claiming its the oldest in Scotland - along with a few others... but I'll not get into that as its often a matter of first illegal/legal distillation on site etc.
I've actually not had that much experince with Glenturret other than a couple of distillery bottlings which really didnt impress me that much... drinkable, yes... but something was missing.
The bottling I'll be trying, though, has gotten very good reviews indeed, so I thought I had to try it myself, as I mentioned Glenturret, is a malt road less travelled for me.
| Glenturret Distillery & The Famous Grouse Experience - August 2009 © The Malt Desk |
Glenturret 1978 34yo 47,6%, ex-bourbon cask#2, Berry Bros & Rudd
Colour is full straw
Nose:
Honey, melon, apple, pineapple, licorice, mild oak and fruitgums
Taste:
Coffee beans, fruit mix, some mellow citrus, cocktail berry sugar sweetness, finish is very sweet and rum like, hint of old grains - very delicate in fact, like it could snap at any time.
If only all Glenturrets could be like this one...
My notes above doesn't do this one justice, I'm afraid - other than I might add it's good!
90/100!
Good Dram apparently. I also haven't tasted this distillery as yet. Except for the Grouses of course!!!!
ReplyDelete