About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

GLENTURRET 1978 - BERRY BROS & RUDD

This will be the first whisky from this distillery I'll be reviewing for this blog.

I visited the place in August 2009 and there was no doubt which blend the place was was associated with - there were Grouse all over the lot there... but this is the malt desk and - at least for now - not the blend desk.

We're of course at Glenturret Distillery in Crieff - another distillery claiming its the oldest in Scotland - along with a few others... but I'll not get into that as its often a matter of first illegal/legal distillation on site etc.

I've actually not had that much experince with Glenturret other than a couple of distillery bottlings which really didnt impress me that much... drinkable, yes... but something was missing.

The bottling I'll be trying, though, has gotten very good reviews indeed, so I thought I had to try it myself, as I mentioned Glenturret, is a malt road less travelled for me.

Glenturret Distillery & The Famous Grouse Experience - August 2009 © The Malt Desk

Glenturret 1978 34yo 47,6%, ex-bourbon cask#2, Berry Bros & Rudd

Colour is full straw

Nose:
Honey, melon, apple, pineapple, licorice, mild oak and fruitgums

Taste:
Coffee beans, fruit mix, some mellow citrus, cocktail berry sugar sweetness, finish is very sweet and rum like, hint of old grains - very delicate in fact, like it could snap at any time.

If only all Glenturrets could be like this one...
My notes above doesn't do this one justice, I'm afraid - other than I might add it's good!

90/100!

1 comment:

  1. Good Dram apparently. I also haven't tasted this distillery as yet. Except for the Grouses of course!!!!

    ReplyDelete