Thursday, 11 April 2013

LONGMORN 1992 - ADELPHI

Longmorn Distillery just next to BenRiach is a stonker of a malt. So much that owners, Chivas Bros/Pernod Ricard is trying (but failing) to keep Longmorn a hidden secret - it's just too good for that.

Longmorn itself isn't open to the public and to get in there, you have to visit -as I've mentioned before- the Spirit of Speyside Festival and again this Spring 2013 its has opened its door for a few events for a lucky few.

Now, you don't see many official bottlings from Longmorn, only a 16yo and a 50cl Cask Strength usually only sold at the Chivas Group Distilleries that has a visitors centre and its very good value and quality - usually around £40 for a 50cl at cask strength and relative small batch. I have to say this, but forget about the 16yo distillery bottling - its just too bland! Go for the Cask Strength version if you can get it - otherwise look to the independants for Longmorn! ... like the one, I'm about to review...

Longmorn 1992/2010 17yo 53,9% 1st fill bourbon barrel#48430, Adelphi

Colour is amber

Nose:
Huge of plesant oak and malt, vanilla and spice, tropical fruits and floral hints, coconut, honey, sweet mash and white chocolate

Taste:
Fruit and malt arrival, Longmorm trademarks, green banana style dryness,  peppery, orange marmalade on toast, some wood sourness, again very malt driven mid palate which I love. Finish is on dry oak and some wood shavings - all very sweet.

88/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment