Here's a quick and dirty review of Port Ellen I certainly found at an 'old' price (€172) in a wine shop here in Denmark. Yes, €172 may seem a lot for a Provenance bottling, but then stuff like this usually goes for around €250 or more here...
Port Ellen 1983 23yo winter 83/winter 06 46%, refill butt#3229, Douglas McGibbon Provenance
Straw coloured
Nose:
Soot, salt camp fire, Fisherman's Friend, sweetness, tar and light peat, seaweed, boiled fruits and some 'old cask effect'.
Taste:
Candied fruits, sweet malt and then peat and a nip of oak. Fresh scallops and sandy beaches also comes to mind, hot frying pan and warm salad? Oak vanilla and warm camp fire ash...
A good Port Ellen at 23yo - most ones we see now are hitting the 30yo mark, so a nice change in the opposite direction and this one certainly shows lots more than many of the older Port Ellens I've had earlier. (not reviewed on this blog).
89/100!
Nice dram Claus. I'm really looking forward to taste something from this Distillery!
ReplyDelete