About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

INVERGORDON 1993 G5.3 'EXTRAORDINARY TASTE INTENSITY' - THE SCOTCH MALT WHISKY SOCIETY

Well, I didn't quite get all of the evil spirits exorcised with my previous review.

I was told to expect something different with this one, so I did - but I never thought it'll have me off from the Invergordon distillery by the Cromarty Firth to the Caribbean with a snap of my fingers.

Invergordon 1993 G5.3 (20.05.1993/xx.10.2011) 18yo 'Extraordinary Taste Intensity' 65,6%, 246 bottles, New toasted oak hogshead, The Scotch malt Whisky Society

Colour is dark amber

Nose:
Rhum, right?? This is huge on what I connect with the slightly 'dirty' and heavier Rhum Agricole style. A thick sugary edge, wood sap, solvety/paint thinner notes. This has Jack Sparrow written all over it and thoughts are immediately off to the island of Tortuga. Pineapple, caramel, coconut, spices (cinnamon) and dark chocolate.

Taste:
I'd normally pour something like this over coke and ice. This is huge on butter caramels, vanilla pods, custard, raspberries and white chocolate, tobacco, oranges, toffee and burnt toast.

This is some of the best grain whisky I've tried - no doubt thanks to the new toasted oak cask!

Not all (grains)spirits are evil and needs to be exorcised!

Thanks to GNJ for the sample!

86/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment