About this blog:

This blog will feature tasting notes, reviews, distillery visits and whisky news with focus mainly on Scottish single malts. This will sometimes be accompanied by politically incorrect (whisky) opinions. You have now been warned! :-)
The views expressed here are entirely my own, unless otherwise stated.

Monday, 17 December 2012

BUNNAHABHAIN 1990 - BERRY BROS & RUDD

I don't know why, but the darker and colder months always brings out the smoke gene in me, and its in these months I drink most of my peated whiskies and I often wonder if others have the same way?

If you do, please comment below the review - thank you!

Now, I've reviewed 8 Bunnahabhains already on here - and I think I've mentioned this before - but Bunnahabhain is really a (still hidden?) gem. Especially the older stuff!

This time I'll be trying a bottling from London based wine & spirits merchant, Berry Bros. & Rudd. I've had mixed experiences with them, though mostly good...

Bunnahabhain 1990 21yo 53,1%, refill sherry butt#18, 616 bottles, Berry Bros & Rudd

Colour is deep mahogany

Nose:
Heavy, oranges, mint, (diesel?) oil, pine, tea and pipe tobacco

Taste:
Some rubbery notes and hints of sulphur, dry oloroso sherry, a small hint of smoke and a little spicy oak. Prunes and raisins and earthen floors. Goes herbal with water and gets very spicy, finishing on pepper and oak.

A good Bunnahabhain that I think will benefit from oxidation... still its not all the way up there..

84/100!

No comments:

Post a Comment