Next review is from that cult island and cult distillery, Islay and Ardbeg.
Indie bottler, Cadenhead - a sub branch of the Mitchell company in Campbeltown with e.g. Springbank under its wings as well has bottled around 2 casks each year over the past few years. They've done a lot more -of course- but I've been buying my Ardbegs from them on a regular basis since 2006.
Ardbeg 1993 14yo xx.02.2008 46%, 288 bottles from an ex-bourbon cask, Cadenhead Original Collection
Colour is white wine
Nose:
Sooty peat, salt and damp and musty cellar. Beneath that is an almost cola like sweetness to it. Then some smoked lemon and wet charred wood, grains and a veggie note as well.
Taste:
Gentle arrival on peat and citrus, then a mashy and veggie note again along with some grass and porridge. It then gets maritime with salt and tar and finishes off on medium level of peat and pepper.
Not a great Ardbeg in anyway, but rather a bit in style like what I associate with the new 'TEN' ... an with that said a bit too 'polished' and 'styled' for me...
I miss something raw and untamed Islay in this one!
83/100!
I found this one to be a bit rougher and more masculine than you did. We have very similar notes, though!
ReplyDelete